- The potato chip was invented in 1853 by George Crum.
- The street letter drop mailbox with a hinged door that closed to protect the mail was invented by Philip B. Downing. This was patented on October 27, 1891.
- Sarah E. Goode invented the folding cabinet bed, a space-saver that folded up against the wall into a cabinet. Her patent was the first one obtained by an African-American woman inventor (July 14, 1885).
- Granville T. Woods invented the Multiplex Telegraph, a device that sent messages between train stations and moving trains in 1887.
- Dr. Patricia Bath was the first African-American woman doctor to receive a patent for a medical purpose (1988). Her Laserphaco Probe is used around the world to treat cataracts.
- Frederick McKinley Jones invented the refrigeration system for trucks in 1940.
Some improvements that also made history include:
– William Purvis… Fountain Pen in 1890.
– Alexander Miles… Elevator in 1887.
– Sarah Goode… Ironing Board in 1892.
– Lewis Latimer… Carbon Filament in the Light Bulb in 1881.
Stay tuned for the next history lesson… .